Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Interview with HLOVE-The Scholastic Art and Writing Awards 2012



Harrison Love was recently awarded Best in Show at The Greenpoint Gallery in Brooklyn, NY. He will be working in the gallery’s residency program through March and will have his first New York solo exhibition there in April. He is also a participating artist innow on paperthe Alliance for Young Artists & Writers’ annual fundraiser and art auction on March 7th.
In the following interview, Harrison talks about the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards, his work, and his artistic goals.
What is your connection to the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards?
In 2004, during my senior year in high school, I was fortunate enough to earn five different Scholastic Art Awards at both the state (Connecticut) and national levels. You could say that the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards really gave me my start in art.
How did winning a Scholastic Art & Writing Awards affect you?
Before winning a Gold Key award, I had little confidence in my work. I was actually more confident in applying to liberal arts schools at the time. But when I won an American Visions Award as well as a Silver Medal for my Art Portfolio I was really taken by surprise. If I had not become acquainted with such success at that moment in my artistic career, I probably would not have pursued my passion with as much drive.
What are your long-term goals as an artist?
I am a freelance Art Director in New York City. Most recently, I was the Creative Director of Citi Pond at Bryant Park for the 2011 Holiday Season where I was responsible for designing the collateral materials as well as graphic elements for Bryant Park’s ice skating rink. In collaboration with my brother, Mac Love, I was also able to design unique artworks for the Park’s Celsius restaurant. My goal is to continue to design and direct art for event and retail spaces throughout the world. I will also continue to advance my artistic techniques, which foster my creative expertise and design discipline.
When did you first become interested in art?
I became interested in art at a very young age. My mother and father are both artistic and my older brother is an artist as well. Growing up, my passion for art was nurtured and really developed from their inspiration.
What inspires you to make art?
I am continually inspired by the way that we as a society create and digest information. Much of my recent work reflects how I consume data as an artist. My recent work has transitioned into the abstract because I have become increasingly fascinated by what a painting does rather than what it is.
I still utilize my skills as an illustrator of both realism and fantasy, which is the type of work that helped me win my Scholastic awards. I think that as our world becomes increasingly complex, our culture is starting to appreciate simplicity more and more. My recent work reflects my attempt to translate the complex into simplicity as well as the translation of paint into motion and emotion.
What advice can you offer to young artists and writers?
My advice for any young artist and/or writer is to learn to recognize distractions and focus on what you want out of each day. Every day brings a new challenge. The hardest thing about keeping yourself busy as an artist is finding the motivation to begin something new. Learn to self motivate and you will succeed.
Beautiful Later, a Love Brothers' Collaboration at Bryant Park's Celsius at Citi Pond 2011.
***
Harrison Love is a graduate of the Rhode Island School of Design. While attending RISD, he worked in advertising abroad, in Tokyo, Japan and in Shanghai, China. After graduation, he traveled to Peru to study the cultural heritage of the Ashaninka, Warani, and Shipibo tribes of the Eastern Amazonas.  He is currently working on an illustrated book about the mythologies of the Shamanic Cultures he was living with. Proceeds from this book will go to supporting the land rights of these indigenous tribes. To keep up to date on all of Harrison’s artistic efforts, please visit www.harrisonlove.com. You can also connect with him on Facebook!


No comments:

Post a Comment